Ruger AR-556 MPR 5.56mm 18" Semi-Automatic Multi-Purpose Rifle 8514
Get your new Ruger from Gunprime! The best source for your gun and ammo needs!!
The new Ruger AR-556 Multi-Purpose Rifle ("MPR"). This custom-built modern sporting rifle features an 18" nitrided alloy barrel with rifle-length gas system, Ruger's 15" free-float handguard compatible with M-LOK® accessories, the Ruger® Elite 452™ AR-Trigger and ergonomic Magpul® furniture. The perfect rifle for a variety of uses, the AR-556 MPR is capable and versatile. Ruger's talented team of engineers worked carefully to develop the ideal custom package for the AR-556 platform that does it all, right out of the box. From plinking to competition shooting, the MPR is the perfect rifle for just about anything. The MPR's cold-hammer forged 18" alloy barrel with 5R rifling is salt bath nitrided for corrosion resistance and durability. The barrel is contoured to minimize weight without sacrificing rigidity, leaving a 0.75" journal for the low-profile gas block. The soft-shooting, rifle-length gas system paired with a Ruger® muzzle brake provides smoother operation and softens recoil to keep every shot on target. Ruger's 15" free-float handguard is light, stiff and versatile, with Magpul M-LOK accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions. Additional slots on the angled surfaces near the muzzle are perfect for mounting a light, laser or QD sling cup. Compared to a typical quad-rail forend, the 1.50" diameter handguard makes the MPR's forend slim and controllable. M-LOK-compatible Picatinny rail sections can be easily added. The integral Picatinny rail at the 12:00 position is tightly controlled to the most current STANAG 4649 specification. The crisp 4.5 pound trigger pull of the Elite 452 two-stage trigger is a great addition to the MPR. The lower receiver is fitted with Magpul's MOE® grip and Mil-Spec MOE SL™ buttstock, making the rifle easy to handle, shoulder and shoot. The Mil-Spec compatible lower and upper receivers are CNC-machined from forgings and hard coat anodized. The MPR comes complete with dust cover, brass deflector and forward assist.
- Lower receiver is fitted with Magpul® MOE® grip and MOE SL™ collapsible buttstock on the Mil-Spec buffer tube.
- Handguard is free-floating for accuracy and the slim, 15" length provides enhanced ergonomics and support.
- Made from aerospace-grade 7075-T6 aluminum forging, the flattop upper receiver includes a forward assist, dust cover and brass deflector, and is Type III hard coat anodized for maximum durability.
- Bolt is machined from 9310 alloy steel and is shot peened and pressure (proof) tested to ensure strength, structural integrity and durability.
- The Ruger® Elite 452™ AR-Trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 pound trigger pull. It features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a 30% faster lock time over standard MSR triggers.
- Rifle-length gas system provides smoother operation and reduces felt recoil.
- Magpul® M-LOK® accessory attachment slots along the 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 positions with additional slots on the angled faces near the muzzle.
- Cold hammer-forged 4140 chrome-moly steel barrel with ultra-precise rifling provides exceptional accuracy, longevity and easy cleaning. The 1:8" twist rate stabilizes bullets from 35 to 77 grains, and the 5.56 NATO chamber allows the use of both 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem. Ammunition. M4 feed ramps provide improved operational reliability, and the matte black nitrided finish provides corrosion resistance.
- Chrome-plated bolt carrier inside diameter and chrome-plated gas key inside diameter provide exceptional resistance to hot gases. The gas key is staked so that it will not loosen after extensive firing. A matte black oxide finish on the exterior of the bolt carrier provides corrosion resistance.
- Ruger® muzzle brake is a radial port design that significantly reduces felt recoil and muzzle movement. The 1/2"-28 threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.
- Also includes: One, 30-round Magpul® PMAG®.
I bought the Ruger MPR after buying the Ruger AR-556...both are great guns, especially for entry/first time buyers. They are, or were, reasonably priced before the pandemic. The MPR does come with much better "furniture", as in the forward "hand grip", and there is a difference in the trigger. The MPR has a rifle length gas system whereas the Ruger AR-556 has a carbine length system. This seems to make the MPR a little softer when shooting and the two inch longer barrel on the MPR makes a difference that you can notice when shooting. The MPR is sweeter when shooting. The MPR comes naked, no sights or optics. All it needs is a red/green dot eye sight on top and it's good to go... I also installed flip up sights should I ever find myself with a dead battery. Whatever you add just makes the rifle cost a little more...
I bought the Ruger MPR after owning the Ruger AR-556. The quality on these rifles is excellent. The MPR comes with the Ruger Elite Trigger and nice furniture. Out of the box, it was very accurate. For the price and the quality, you can't go wrong with any of the Ruger AR rifles.
My rifle is just as I expected it to be. I'd certainly buy from Gunprime again!
Write your own review